2011 New York Rangers Training Camp News: Artem Anisimov, Mike Sauer Among Those Who Didn't Skate

NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 20: Artem Anisimov #42 of the New York Rangers reacts after he scored a seocnd period goal against the Washington Capitals in Game Four of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2011 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Madison Square Garden on April 20, 2011 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

John Tortorella's famous training camp opened up today, and even after just the morning skate there's a lot to talk about.

Before we begin, it should be noted that Tortorella thought every player took the offseason training seriously. That's a good thing.

Now, onto the injuries.

Mike Sauer, who tweaked his knee this summer, didn't skate. Don't forget that Sauer is a player who has had surgery on his knee before, so it will be something to keep an eye on. Sauer told Jim Cerny that his knee felt better today and he hopes to get back on the ice soon. That's good news for the Rangers, since Sauer was a major part of the defensive corps last year.

Artem Anisimov also didn't skate today, which is a surprise. Cerny is reporting that Anisimov is going to get an MRI on his knee. That's not good news for the Rangers, hopefully it's nothing major. We'll keep you updated on that situation as it unfolds.

Marian Gaborik, as was reported earlier today, did not skate today because he was returning from the services for Pavol Demitra that took place in Slovakia. Tortorella said he would still get his testing in.

Below the jump is a list of player who did well today.

Let's start with who did well:

  • Tim Erixon apparently blew everyone away during the grueling sprints. Every beat reporter said he wasn't even winded at the end of it.
  • Wojtek Wolski, who came into camp with a new commitment, was brilliant as well. He impressed everyone, and will have to keep impressing if he wants a new contract at the end of this season. Tortorella told the media he thought Wolski took last year's end of the season meeting to heart.
  • Sean Avery did well too, but this is never surprising. Say what you want about Avery, the man is a workout machine.
  • Ryan Bourque and Carl Hagelin were another two who impressed today.
The team will run a two-mile sprint tonight to continue their training. What's your thoughts on all this guys?