2011 New York Rangers Training Camp News: Staal, Prust and Sauer Injury Updates

NEW YORK, NY - MARCH 24: Brandon Prust #8 of the New York Rangers celebrates scoring the game tying goal during the third period against the Ottawa Senators at Madison Square Garden on March 24, 2011 in New York City. The Senators defeated the Rangers 2-1 in a shootout. (Photo by Christopher Pasatieri/Getty Images)

John Tortorella was available to speak with the media after camp, and the main concern was injuries. Apparently Marc Staal was diagnosed with a concussion last Febuary, after the hit from his brother Eric. The Rangers have sidelined Staal as a precaution, to reduced further injury.

Staal is not expected to play in any of the North America pre-season games, and might play in one or two European games. However, he did pass the baseline tests on Friday, which was required. The Rangers are eying the season opener for Marc's return. John Tortorella stated: "We are holding him back" to be cautious and that Staal is "feeling better." The main reason for concern is that Staal suffered numerous headaches, and post-concussion symptoms over the summer.

Along with Staal, fellow teammate Brandon Prust was held out of the scrimmages as well. Doctors are also be cautious with his shoulder, following off-season surgery. He won't engage in any contact for another two weeks, and will also be held out of the North American pre-season games. Again, this is all done for precautionary reasons.

Follow after the jump for Sauer's update.

Michael Sauer was also held out of today's scrimmages, but did skate with Prust and Staal after. Tortorella stated that he was very "encouraged" by how Sauer skated today, and hopefully he will join the scrimmages soon.

Overall, the Rangers are taking some major precautions with their key players. This is very good to see, and as Jesse Spectors states, "Overall, Rangers using great deal of caution with important players. I don't think anyone is in danger of missing regular-season opener."

That's all for now, more updates to come.