2011 New York Rangers Training Camp News: Staal Plot Thickens

NEW YORK NY - JANUARY 05: Marc Staal #18 of the New York Rangers skates against his brother Eric Staal #12 of the Carolina Hurricanes at Madison Square Garden on January 5 2011 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

Just as it started to get a little brighter, regarding Marc Staal's injury, the clouds flew over once again. Marc Staal was not present during the after scrimmage workouts, earlier this afternoon. It appears that Staal arrived not feeling to well, and Tortorella sent him home as a precaution.

Obviously the lingering effects of the concussion are still present, and the Rangers are taking every sort of precaution. Tortorella said they will have to take it day by day, to assess his condition. He also stated that Staal did not need any pre-season games to get ready for the season opener in Stockholm.

According to Torts, the Rangers have continuously been searching for a veteran defenseman. Although, apparently the search began even before Staal's setback. The defenseman could either come via trade, or on a tryout basis. While another defenseman would be nice, we still have plenty of young talent to fill the roles, like Del Zotto or Valentenko.

We will keep you guys up to date on what happens with Staal. For right now, the signs are not looking so good. Aside from that, the lines for Wednesday's pre-season game will be released after tomorrow's practice.

SB Nation Featured Video