2011 New York Rangers Training Camp: 35 Players Survive First Round Of Cuts

The New York Rangers have made their first round of cuts. A few surprises are on the list, highlighted by Pavel Valentenko. Valentenko probably wouldn't be on this list if it weren't for his performance last night, but that's the way training camp goes sometimes.

Erik Christensen will get one more opportunity to prove he belongs, despite a rough preseason thus far. He better make the most of his chances, however, because Mats Zuccarello is having a heck of a camp.

Although many would have liked to see Christian Thomas make the squad, his game simply isn't ready yet. After one more year of seasoning at the OHL level, however, he's going to make a huge splash next year. And while this year's first round pick, J.T. Miller, got cut, he proved that he was a great first round pick who can be a special player someday.

Good to see Ryan Bourque, Tim Erixon, Dylan McIlrath and Carl Hagelin survive the first round of cuts as well.

A full list of who got cut and who survived below.

New York, September 24, 2011 – New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has assigned the following 21 players to Connecticut (AHL): goaltenders Chad Johnson, Jason Missiaen and Cameron Talbot; defensemen Lee Baldwin, Collin Bowman, Sam Klassen, Tomas Kundratek, Jyri Niemi, Jared Nightingale, and Pavel Valentenko; and forwards Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Tommy Grant, Jordan Hickmott, Tayler Jordan, Kale Kerbashian, Chad Kolarik, Chris McKelvie, Matt Rust, Scott Tanski, Kelsey Tessier, and Jason Wilson.  In addition, the Rangers returned seven players to their respective junior club: defensemen Peter Ceresnak (Peterborough, OHL) and Samuel Noreau (Baie-Comeau, QMJHL); and forwards Shane McColgan (Kelowna, WHL), J.T. Miller (Plymouth, OHL), Michael St. Croix (Edmonton, WHL), Christian Thomas (Oshawa, OHL), and Andrew Yogan (Peterborough, OHL).

The Rangers now have 35 players remaining in training camp, including three goaltenders, 11 defensemen and 21 forwards.  The Blueshirts practice schedule for tomorrow, September 25, is 11:00 a.m. at the MSG Training Center.  New York continues their exhibition schedule on Monday, September 26 at 7:00 p.m. when the team will travel to Philadelphia to face-off against the Flyers at Wells Fargo Center.

PLAYERS ASSIGNED TO CONNECTICUT (AHL) ON 9/24/11:
Goal (3):  Chad Johnson, Jason Missiaen, Cameron Talbot
Defense (7):  Lee Baldwin, Collin Bowman, Sam Klassen, Tomas Kundratek, Jyri Niemi, Jared Nightingale, Pavel Valentenko
Forward (11):  Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Tommy Grant, Jordan Hickmott, Tayler Jordan, Kale Kerbashian, Chad Kolarik, Chris McKelvie, Matt Rust, Scott Tanski, Kelsey Tessier, Jason Wilson

PLAYERS RETURNED TO JUNIORS ON 9/24/11:
Defense (2):  Peter Ceresnak (Peterborough, OHL), Samuel Noreau (Baie-Comeau, QMJHL)
Forward (5):  Shane McColgan (Kelowna, WHL), J.T. Miller (Plymouth, OHL), Michael St. Croix (Edmonton, WHL), Christian Thomas (Oshawa, OHL), Andrew Yogan (Peterborough, OHL)

PLAYERS STILL IN NEW YORK RANGERS TRAINING CAMP:
Goal (3):  Martin Biron, Henrik Lundqvist, Scott Stajcer
Defense (11):  Brendan Bell, Stu Bickel, Michael Del Zotto, Steve Eminger, Tim Erixon, Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh, Dylan McIlrath, Blake Parlett, Michael Sauer, Marc Staal
Forward (21):  Artem Anisimov, Sean Avery, Ryan Bourque, Brian Boyle, Ryan Callahan, Erik Christensen, Andre Deveaux, Brandon Dubinsky, Ruslan Fedotenko, Marian Gaborik, Carl Hagelin, John Mitchell, Kris Newbury, Brandon Prust, Brad Richards, Mike Rupp, Derek Stepan, Andreas Thuresson, Dale Weise, Wojtek Wolski, Mats Zuccarello

In This Article

Teams
Players