New York Rangers Recap: Rangers Earn 4-2 Win Over Frolunda Indians

The New York Rangers continued their winning ways in Europe, with a 4-2 win over the Frolunda Indians. Today was a very special game for Henrik Lundqvist, as he was facing his former team and brother. The Indians honored Lundqvist before the game with an opening ceremony, and lots of cheering.

With that said, the game started out with an early Rangers goal coming from Kris Newbury. Ryan Bourque  made an impressive pass to lead Newbury on the break, and Newbury buried it. Shortly after, Lundqvist made a great save through traffic, but lost sight of the rebound, and the Indians capitalized to tie game at 1-1.

The Rangers got into some penalty trouble starting the second period, and killed off two, 5-on-3's. Henrik Lundqvist was the Rangers best penalty killer, and kept it a 1-1 game.

Follow after the jump for more and the official New York Rangers game notes.

The Rangers were able to kill off the rest of the penalties, and finally got back to 5-on-5 hockey. Mats Zuccarello made an incredible pass to Michael Del Zotto, and Del Zotto let go an wicked wrister that beat the Indians goalie. Zuccarello continued his ways and lead Erik Christensen on the rush, and he scored just over the shoulder of the Indians goalie.

Christensen wasn't having the greatest of games, but somewhat redeemed himself with the goal, to put the Rangers up 3-1. Late in the period, Avery took a high stick to the mouth and was bleeding, that put the Rangers on the powerplay, but nothing came of it. Avery later left the bench, and went to the Rangers locker room.

Henrik Lundqvist started where he left off, and made some ridiculous saves between the pipes for the Rangers. Rangers had a powerplay opportunity, but went unanswered once again. Hank had some more action, and turned away a series of three shots, still standing strong for the Rangers.

Also noted by MSG, Sean Avery will not be returning to the game today. He suffered a cut, in which he received from a high stick. Michael Del Zotto took a penalty, and put the Indians on the powerplay. Henrik Lundqvist turned away a shot, but couldn't get a handle on the rebound, and the Indians cut the lead to 3-2.

Brendan Bell made a nice little flip pass over to Mike Rupp, who beat the goalie five hole, and the Rangers re-gained their two goal lead.

With under a minute left in the game, the crowd was on it's feet, cheering, and for good reason. This game was great from the start and Henrik Lundqvist put on a show on his home soil. Before they left the ice, both teams saluted the crowd at center ice and it was well deserved.

The Rangers will take on HC Slovan from Slovakia on Sunday at 11:00 AM. This game will also be televised on MSG, along with our open game thread at 10:30 AM. This one's an early one folks, but nothing is better than early morning Rangers hockey!

NEW YORK RANGERS POST-GAME NOTES
New York Rangers 4, Frolunda Indians 2 (Preseason Game No. 5, Away No. 4)

-The Rangers defeated the Frolunda Indians of the Swedish Elite League, 4-2, tonight at Scandinavium Arena in Gothenburg, Sweden, to improve to 3-1-1 in preseason action.
-Henrik Lundqvist stopped 32 of 34 shots in the win, while facing his former SEL team.
-Kris Newbury opened the game's scoring at 2:24 of the first period, added an assist and posted a plus-two rating in the contest.
-Michael Del Zotto tallied two points (one goal, one assist), posted a plus-two rating and logged 23:35 of ice time.
-Erik Christensen notched the eventual game-winning goal at 11:43 of the second period, registered four shots on goal and posted a 79.0% face-off winning percentage.
-Mats Zuccarello registered two assists, including the primary assist on the game-winning goal, and posted a plus-two rating in the contest.
-Mike Rupp notched his first point as a Blueshirt with a goal and led the team with five shots on goal.
-Brian Boyle recorded an assist and led all skaters with four hits in the contest.
-Brendan Bell registered an assist in the contest, and is now tied for the Rangers preseason lead in scoring with three points (one goal, two assists).
-Stu Bickel and Ryan Bourque each collected their first point of the preseason with one assist apiece.
-Please note the Rangers have a scheduled off-day tomorrow, October 1.
-The New York Rangers will return to action on Sunday, October 2, when they will face-off against HC Slovan Bratislava of the Slovak Extraliga in Bratislava, Slovakia (11:00 a.m. ET).  The contest will be televised live on MSG Network.