FanPost

"Ice-A 2 U" (aka "The Russians love their players, too")

"Ice-A 2 U" (aka "The Russians love their players, too")

by Marc Weissman on Wednesday, September 7, 2011 at 11:27pm

As an avid fan of music's "King Of Pain" combined with such unmerciful tragedy repeatedly slashing our favorite sport this off-season, I was thus so moved to alter Sting's impassioned mantra accordingly....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rk78eCIx4E  (original song's video)

"Ice-A 2 U" (aka "The Russians love their players, too")

(Alternate lyrics written by Marc Weissman, 2011 to Sting's previously-penned "Russians" melody)

In the US and in Canada,

There's a growing feeling of hysteria

Well-conditioned brave men are passing on

Regardless of what rules are agreed upon.

Mr. Tretiak wept: "We must bury you" :(

I wish that this just wasn't true

It is such a horrible thing to do

Since the Russians love their players, too.

Have can I save my little boy,

from Gary Bettman's trapezoid.

There is no defense against lack of class

On either side of the proverbial glass.

We share the same professionals,

Regardless if there's confessionals.

Believe me when Ice-A 2 U.

I know the Russians love their players, too.

There is no medical practitioner

Who agrees with the league's commissioner.

There's no such thing as an overtime loss!

Quicken the game but at what cost?

Mr. Bettman claims "We will protect you."

I don't subscribe to his point of you.

Believe me when Ice-A 2 U,

Because the Russians love their players, too.

We share the same professionals

Regardless if there's confessionals

Believe me when Ice-A 2 U

That we should all say our prayers, too. :(

(original song's lyrics and some poignant photos after the jump)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rk78eCIx4E   (original song's video)

"Russians"

(Original lyrics sung, composed and written by Sting, 1985)

In Europe and America,

There's a growing feeling of hysteria.

Conditioned to respond to all the threats

In the rhetorical speeches of the Soviets.

Mr. Krushchev said we will bury you.

I don't subscribe to this point of view.

It would be such an ignorant thing to do.

If the Russians love their children, too.

How can I save my little boy

From Oppenheimer's deadly toy

There is no monopoly in common sense

On either side of the political fence

We share the same biology

Regardless of ideology

Believe me when I say to you

I hope the Russians love their children too

There is no historical precedent

To put the words in the mouth of the President

There's no such thing as a winnable war

It's a lie that we don't believe anymore

Mr. Reagan says we will protect you

I don't subscribe to this point of view

Believe me when I say to you

I hope the Russians love their children too

We share the same biology

Regardless of ideology

What might save us, me, and you

Is that the Russians love their children too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rk78eCIx4E    (original song's video)

Derek Leendert Boogaard (6/23/82 – 5/13/11)

Rick Joseph Rypien (5/16/84 – 8/15/11)

Wade Belak (7/3/76 – 8/31/11)

September 7, 2011...R.I.P. :(

Alexander Karpovtsev (Russian: Александр Карповцев; 4/7/70 – 9/7/11)

"All in a days work": Karp defending his bud, Richter. :)

Karp (back row, middle) w/ '94 NYR Cup Team, 1 of the 1st 4 Russians to ever hoist the Stanley Cup. :)

Pavol Demitra (11/29/74 – 9/7/11)

Byron Brad McCrimmon (3/29/59 – 9/7/11)

Impromptu crash-site memorial for KHL team :(