Erik Christensen Assigned To Connecticut On Conditioning Stint

The New York Rangers announced today that forward, Erik Christensen, has been assigned to the Connecticut Whale for a conditioning stint. Christensen has been scratched for awhile, and has not be getting any playing time what-so-ever. There was talks that both Wojtek Wolski and Christensen would be sent down just to get some playing time under their belts again.

Although, Christensen did have to accept the assignment, he accepted it to finally get back to playing hockey. Here is what Christensen said following the assignment, "I love hockey and I want to play. It hasn't been a lot of fun to be bag-skated the past month. I'm just looking fwd to playing again."

It is believed that Wojtek Wolski was not assigned to do the uncertainty surrounding Brandon Dubinsky. Dubinsky injured his shoulder last night, but did return shortly after. However, Dubinsky was sore today and will remain a game-time decision for tomorrow.

Follow after the jump for the official press release. Also be sure to check out how Brandon ranks the active New York Rangers roster.

NEW YORK RANGERS TRANSACTION UPDATE

Erik Christensen Assigned to Connecticut on a Conditioning Stint

New York, January 11, 2011 – New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that forward Erik Christensen has been assigned to the Connecticut Whale of the American Hockey League (AHL) on a conditioning stint.

Christensen, 28, has registered one goal and four assists for five points in 20 games this season. He recorded four points (one goal, three assists) in a three-game span from October 31 vs. San Jose to November 5 vs. Montreal. Christensen is tied for third in the NHL all-time in shootout game-deciding goals (11), ranks ninth in shootout goals (24) and ranks fifth in shootout shooting percentage (52.2%) among active skaters with at least 10 shootout attempts. He has not dressed in 20 games this season, including each of the last 10 contests. His last appearance was on December 17 at Phoenix.

The Edmonton, Alberta native was acquired by the Rangers on December 2, 2009, claiming him off waivers from Anaheim. He was originally selected by the Pittsburgh Penguins as a third round choice, 69th overall, in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.