For The New York Rangers, What A Difference A Year Makes

COLUMBUS, OH - DECEMBER 15: Vinny Prospal #22 of the Columbus Blue Jackets celebrates a second period goal during the game against the Los Angeles Kings at Nationwide Arena on December 15, 2011 in Columbus, Ohio. (Photo by John Grieshop/Getty Images)

Considering I have way too much free time on my hands these days, I spent part of my night last night looking through the past posts of Blueshirt Banter. Last season specifically struck me as interesting, as I surfed through the ups and downs of the New York Rangers season.

This season has certainly been fantastic so far, but it did not fully hit me until I read the articles on Blueshirt Banter from January of last season.

Honestly, reading those articles made me feel so much better about the amazing team we have this season. Let's look through some headlines:

Jan 3- Michael Del Zotto Sent Down, Ryan McDonagh Called Up:

Amazing how this turned out, isn't it? Still at this time last January the Rangers defense was in turmoil. This season the team has filled the holes wonderfully.

Jan 9- Alexander Frolov Out For Season: ot only does this team not have an equal player to Frolov that is a liability offensively and basically a punching bag for the fans. Shows how this team has no real weak player.

In addition to these, we had the Wotjek Wolski acquisition, criticism of Marian Gaborik, and some hope for Vinny Prospal.

What's the point of all this reminiscing, you ask?

This season the Rangers are miles ahead of where they were last season. The Rangers do not need to make a trade, and some are saying the Rangers are having such a good season that the Rangers should not even pursue a trade.

Marian Gaborik is playing on the complete other end of the spectrum, as he was named to the All-Star Game rather than being criticized.

Hopefully in May and June I can write another one of these and compare the current Stanley Cup Champions to last seasons first round exit.