New York Rangers Practice: Friday Morning Practice Updates

PITTSBURGH, PA - JANUARY 06: Brad Richards #19 of the New York Rangers skates up to a face off against the Pittsburgh Penguins during the NHL game at Consol Energy Center on January 6, 2012 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Rangers defeated the Penguins 3-1. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers held practice today, and the noticeable players missing were Brad Richards and Michael Sauer. Last night against the Pittsburgh Penguins, Brad Richards took what appears to be a slew foot from Matt Cooke. Richards fell awkwardly on his back, and caused his head to snap back rather quickly.

Following practice, Richards stated that he was held out of practice due to some stiffness in his neck area. However, he did state there is no reason why he shouldn't play tomorrow afternoon against the Boston Bruins. This is definitely good news as the Rangers can't afford anymore injuries at this point. Richards stated after practice that the play was "cheap" and "it wasn't the first time he's [Cooke] done it."

Michael Sauer was also held out of on ice activities today by trainer Jim Ramsey for an unspecified reason. Sauer will also not accompany the team to Boston tomorrow, which will not allow him to get back on the ice. However, Sauer has been working on off-ice condition as of late, which could be the case for his absences.