Rangers Vs. Bruins: Rangers Get The Win In Overtime Against Defending Cup Champs

The New York Rangers came out with a very hard fought victory this afternoon against the Boston Bruins. However, the officiating was very, very questionable today but it wound up helping the Rangers in the end. Marian Gaborik had two goals today, including the game winner with 3.6 seconds remaining in overtime.

The first period was about as even as you can get, the shots were tied 8-8, and the score remained 0-0. Ryan Callahan opened the scoring just 1:31 into the second period, coming out of the penalty box. Brand Prust made a great play to spring Callahan on a 3-on-1. Callahan let a quick shot go that rang off of the post and into the net for the 1-0 lead.

Just two minutes later, Andrew Ference evened up the game with a great passing play in the slot. Brandon Dubinsky made a great effort to get back on the play, but looked a little lost in the slot when the Bruins scored.

Follow after the jump for more.

Just under ten minutes later, Marian Gaborik got his first goal in six games to put the Rangers up 2-1 late in the second period. Hagelin got off a quick shot that deflected in front, and Gaborik wound up and ripped a slap shot past Tuuka Rask.

Again, the Rangers gave up another late goal, as Adam McQuaid's quick wrist shot that beat Henrik Lundqvist shot side. However, after looking at the replay, the puck deflected off of a Ranger's stick in front of the net. The officiating was seriously questioned in this period, as there were a lack of calls in favor of the Rangers, but more going against them.

Coming into the third period, this was the biggest period for both teams. However, we didn't have a winner after several chances by both teams. Just 1:50 into overtime, Andrew Ference made a careless and dirty play that sent Ryan McDonagh into the board face first. Ference would get an eventual five-minute major, accompanied by a game misconduct. That would give the Rangers the rest of the overtime period to score on the power play. I honestly hope Brenddan Shanahan throws the book at Ference after that one, it's just unacceptable.

After an awful couple of minutes on the power play, the Rangers finally cashed in at the right time. Ryan Callahan came out from the goal line, got off a quick back-hand that was stopped by Rask. Marian Gaborik would eventually find the loose puck and flip it over the sprawling Rask to give the Rangers the win. The goal came with 3.6 seconds left, and Marian Gaborik celebrated with a well-deserved fist pump.