NHL Update: Andrew Ference Given Three Game Suspension For Hit On Ryan McDonagh

Brendan Shanahan and the Department of Player Safety announced that defenseman, Andrew Ferenence has been suspended for his on on Ryan McDonagh. In overtime, Andrew Ference laid a vicious hit on Ryan McDonagh that propelled him into the boards in an awkward position.

On the play, Ference received a five-minute major for charging accompanied by a game misconduct. McDonagh remained on the ice for several minutes before being escorted off by medical trainer Jim Ramsey. Shanahan states that McDonagh was in a defenseless position, and the onus was on Ference to let up.

As Shanahan stated, this was a "textbook example" of the re-written boarding rule that was put in place prior to this season. However, there was some good news coming out of all this as Shanahan states that they have heard there was no apparent injury to Ryan McDonagh as a result. Definitely comforting to hear that.

If you wish to view the suspension video from Shanahan, it will available for your viewing after the jump.