Blueshirt Banter Discussion: What Does Hockey Mean To You?

NEW YORK - NOVEMBER 11: Michael Grier #25 of the Buffalo Sabres holds up Michael Del Zotto #4 of the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden on November 11 2010 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

I remember when I was a little kid, I would go to the Nassau Coliseum with my brother and father and watch the Islanders play some terrific hockey. I never really got into the Islanders, nor the sport of hockey, and come time to pick a hockey team to root for I defected to my friends' favorite team, the New York Rangers.

I was never an Islanders fan, but I grew up watching Islanders hockey. I'll admit that, and I hope I'm not judged for it, but anyway, hockey was not a huge part of my childhood.

Now, hockey is a major part of my day to day life. My brother and father are both Islanders fans, and one of the best ways we bond is arguing over the different Islanders and Rangers news of whichever day it is. We go to Rangers vs. Islanders games every year (this year it will be 2/24 at the Coliseum) and we watch games together.

Whether it be as a writer, or as a fan, hockey gives me something to look forward to each day and something to converse with others about. It's not just a sport to me, it's a way of communication, and even a way of life.

What does hockey mean to you?