New York Rangers Can't Overlook Winnipeg Jets Tonight

The New York Rangers got good news on Monday when the team learned that Ryan McDonagh will probably play in tonight's matchup with the Winnipeg Jets.

The Rangers have had their fair share of injuries this season, especially to their defensive corps, and having McDonagh back will be a big boost for the team.

New York does, however, have bigger things to worry about. After a thrilling 3-2 overtime victory over the Boston Bruins on Saturday, the Rangers now have some much needed confidence and momentum. They also have a big break in the schedule, having an entire week off before taking on the New Jersey Devils January 31st.

Join me after the jump for more.

The Rangers have watched their power play falter, and their offense run dry at time, but the team has still managed to win some huge games this season. None of those games was bigger than the victory over Boston, something that proved the Rangers belong in the NHL's "elite team" conversation.

Marian Gaborik scored two goals, Brad Richards picked up a key assist on Gaborik's overtime winner and the Rangers found themselves atop the East once again. The Bruins have since tied the Rangers' record, but the point remains the same: the Rangers can hang with anyone in the NHL.

In other Rangers news, Steve Eminger has been cleared for contact. This is good news, especially with news breaking that Michael Sauer has suffered a setback. John Tortorella needs all the help he can get on the back end, and Eminger might be just what the doctor ordered to give McDonagh or Girardi a break when they need it.

Regardless, the Rangers have to focus on tonight. You don't want to have an entire week to sit on a loss, that doesn't help anyone.

Thoughts on this guys?