Defensive Depth A Key For The New York Rangers

OTTAWA, ON - JANUARY 27: Team Alfredsson defenseman Dan Girardi of the New York Rangers speaks with the press during the 2012 NHL All-Star Game Player Media Availability at the Westin Ottawa on January 27, 2012 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

When you think of the New York Rangers greats, Brian Leetch is certainly among the first names to come to mind. While I won't compare Dan Girardi to Leetch, Girardi and his fellow defensemen have brought new prestige to being a New York Rangers d-man.

With Marc Staal having return from injury, the Rangers have one of, if not the best defenses in hockey. Michael Del Zotto is having a breakout season, while Ryan McDonagh is making the Canadiens regret trading him increasingly each day,

Meanwhile, the likes of Anton Stralman and Stu Bickel have filled in for the loss of Michael Sauer fantastically, and when Sauer returns, along with Steve Eminger, the Rangers will have one of the best problems a team can have: too much defense.

In the minors, the Rangers have Tim Erixon and Pavel Valentenko waiting in the wings. Dylan McIllrath is a huge prospect for the Rangers at defense as well, so not only does the current look bright, but the future does as well.

SB Nation Featured Video