New York Rangers Are Doing The Right Thing With Martin Biron And Henrik Lundqvist

WASHINGTON, DC - DECEMBER 28: Martin Biron #43 of the New York Rangers looks on between plays during the first period against the Washington Capitals at Verizon Center on December 28, 2011 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Patrick McDermott/Getty Images)

When the New York Rangers went out and got Martin Biron two years ago the blueprint was simple: Use Biron for at or over 20 games a year to keep Henrik Lundqvist fresh and ready to go for a playoff run.

Last year, due to injuries, things didn't go according to the plan. This year, however, they have.

Biron will start his 11th game tonight, putting him on pace to start somewhere between 22 and 23 games this season. That means that Henrik Lundqvist will only start around 60 games this year. A few weeks ago Lundqvist did admit to media members that he "felt great" in terms of the wear and tear on his body at this point in the season.

For John Tortorella, who was known for not being willing to trust backup goaltenders, Biron has been a revelation. We talked about his numbers yesterday, but Biron has been a force for the Rangers, and his 2.08 GAA has helped the team earn seven wins this year while he was minding the net.

Thoughts on the time Biron has played this year guys?