Rangers Vs. Panthers: Marian Gaborik's Overtime Goal Pushes Rangers Past Panthers

NEW YORK, NY - JANUARY 05: Anton Stralman #32 of the New York Rangers celebrates his goal at 17:44 of the first period against the Florida Panthers at Madison Square Garden on January 5, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers capped off a great game tonight at Madison Square Garden with Marian Gaborik's overtime winner. Martin Biron notched his eighth win of the season of the season, and continues to play outstanding for the Rangers.

Just four minutes into the game, Marcel Goc scored his third goal of the season, on a great 2-on-1 finish. Stu Bickel made a bad pinch, which led to the eventual 2-on-1, with Marc Staal left out to dry. Just over ten minutes later, Anton Stralman notched his first goal as a New York Ranger to knot the game up at 1-1.

After the first period, the Rangers doubled up the Panthers in shots with the total 16-8, in favor of the Rangers. Ryan Callahan put the Rangers up 2-1 on a power play goal in the third period. The initial goal was recorded to Brad Richards, but after review, the puck Callahan in the leg before entering the net.

Follow after the jump for more.

Just 35 seconds later, Mike Santorelli tied up the game with a beautiful wrist shot that beat Martin Biron short side. It was a bad defensive play as Santorelli came into the zone 1-on-3, and still found a way to beat the Rangers. The score remained the same through the third, and we headed to overtime to decide the winner. 3:29 into the overtime, Marian Gaborik was left wide open in the slot and let a slap shot go that beat Scott Clemmensen over the pads for the win.

As Gaborik celebrated, and the rest of the Rangers piled off of the bench, the Rangers went on to win their third straight game. After falling to the Panthers in their first meeting of the season, the Rangers have won three straight against them since then.

The Rangers will be in action again tomorrow night against the Pittsburgh Penguins starting at 7:00.