Connecticut Whale News: Whale Sign Matt Gilroy To AHL Contract; Likely To Re-Sign With Rangers

Marc DesRosiers-US PRESSWIRE - Presswire

According to Larry Brooks, Matt Gilroy has signed an AHL contract with the Connecticut Whale.

According to Larry Brooks of the NY Post, the Connecticut Whale have signed Matt Gilroy to an American Hockey League contract. Gilroy is a familiar face around the Rangers organization, as he started his career with them back in 2009-2010. The Whale were fairly thin on the back end heading into this season, and took a dip into the free agent pool to get some depth.

What's interesting here is that Brooks says that the Rangers could possibly sign Gilroy to an NHL contract once the lockout concludes. The Rangers have a solid top-four heading into whenever a season may start, with Michael Del Zotto still in a holding pattern for a new contract. Gilroy will likely play a depth role as he did with the Ottawa Senators and Tampa Bay Lightning last season. You can't have enough depth, especially if you are the New York Rangers.

Since leaving the Rangers in 2010-2011, Gilroy split last season between the Tampa Bay Lightning and Ottawa Senators. He compiled a total of three goals, and 17 assists between both teams, and appeared in three playoff games with the Senators.