2012 NHL Lockout: Derek Stepan Signs With KalPa Of SM-Liiga As Lockout Carries On

Brace Hemmelgarn-US PRESSWIRE

As collective bargaining meetings continue to take place, New York Rangers forward Derek Stepan signed a lockout contract with KalPa of the Finnish SM-Liiga.

As the NHL lockout enters day number 57, players have continued to find teams to play with until a collective bargaining agreement is in place for the 2012-2013 season. Multiple players from the New York Rangers have already jumped shipped, including Rick Nash, Michael Del Zotto, Ryan McDonagh, and Carl Hagelin. Derek Stepan is the latest Rangers' player to sign a lockout contract as he joins KalPa of Finland's SM-Liiga.

Here's some fun little tidbits about KalPa. The majority of the team is currently owned by former NHL'er, and Philadelphia Flyer Sami Kapanen, along current Flyer Kimmo Timonen. Scott Hartnell also owns a small portion of the team with a 5% share. That's a lot of Philadelphia connections over there in Finland. Hopefully Stepan doesn't get into too many fist fights over there. Kidding of course.

Anyways, meetings between the NHL and NHLPA have picked up this afternoon as of 1:30 PM, as they attempt to come to an agreement on a new CBA. Hopefully we see some more meetings, and progress this week. We need to see some sort of the NHL hockey this year, right?