2012 NHL Lockout: NHL And NHLPA Set To Start Mediation Process This Afternoon

Brad Penner-US PRESSWIRE

After news broke a couple of days back with the NHL and NHLPA agreeing to federal mediation, they are expected to start the process this afternoon when they meet at 1:00 PM.

The National Hockey League and National Hockey League Players' Association are finally getting back to the table once again, but this time around there will be some new faces glaring around the room. Earlier during the week, the NHL and NHLPA agreed to federal mediation, after the two sides have been in a long lasting stalemate for several months now. While the mediation is non-binding, there is still hope that a third party can help bridge the gap between the two sides, and ultimately speed up the process to get the game back on the ice.

There needs to be a willingness to compromise from both ends of the table here though. If one side is not willing to make it right, then the mediation process is more or less a waste. Both sides have made it known for a while now that they want to get a deal done, and get back to playing. If they really want a deal to be made, they need to use this process to their advantage, and ultimately strike a deal.

Hopefully both sides get a dose of reality out of the entire process, and realize there is a deal on the table. The meeting this afternoon in slated to start at 1:00 PM. Here's hoping we get some better news this week then we have in the past.