2012 NHL Lockout: NHL Cancels Games Through December 30th

Christian Petersen

The National Hockey League announced the cancellation of all regular season games through December 30th, earlier this afternoon.

As expected, the National Hockey League announced earlier this afternoon, the cancellation of all regular season games through December 30th, 2012. As we head into day 86 of the lockout, neither side has been able to come to terms on a new collective bargaining agreement.

This news comes shortly after the NHL and NHL Players Association broke off talks last week, where we saw the NHL rejecting the NHLPA's latest proposal that was said to put a quick resolution to this extended lockout. While there was some cautious optimism surrounding last weeks talks, the two sides also came a lot closer to a deal than they have in the past.

The NHL had also previously canceled the NHL All-Star game in Columbus, and the 2013 Bridgestone Winter Classic which was slated to be played at Michigan stadium.

We are now down our final stretch in order to salvage some sort of a season, as both sides are expected to get back to the bargaining table sometime this week.