FanPost

James Dolan barred from 'players-owners only meeting'

To paraphrase Sydney Greenstreet: I don't know why I'm posting this. I have no vested interest or care. And I certainly don't want to kick Richter1994 and BigB22 while they're prone....

....but there's not gonna be a season this year. That's not official, obviously, just more reading of the tea leaves. And hey, since I called this two years ago and predicted in August the season would wind up canceled, I may be on to something.

Players are apparently being selected now. Jeremy Jacobs will be there as well, presumably to keep owners in line. Basically it's a meeting without Bettman or Donald Fehr (Steve will be there, according to a report).

Per Allan Walsh, player agent and insider extraordinaire, Gary Bettman's edict has been handed down to keep Dolan out of the room. In a series of tweets earlier, he wrote:

Now that NYR+Knicks owner James Dolan (an enemy of Bettman) wants in on CBA talks, watch for certain pro-owner media to attack him. (1)

I hear NYR owner James Dolan wanted into the meeting in the worst way but Gary and Jacobs wouldn't let him in.

Dolan's already put out he wants in. Since he sued NHL, sent letter to other NHL owners demanding Bettman's firing, banned.

The owners-players meeting will take place about a mile from MSG and NYR owner James Dolan is not allowed in.

Unless the players cave in completely, the season is toast. This meeting will go nowhere, and with the holidays approaching, it's not looking good.

Even knowing Dolan and Bettman hate each other, if there was a serious effort to end this, why would you exclude an owner who wants to step in and get things moving? I mean, aside from outsized ego and desire to just win, baby?

SB Nation Featured Video