NHL Lockout 2012: New Offer Made By The League

Jonathan Daniel

As time runs short in order to save what is left of the 2012-13 season, the NHL reportedly made a new offer to the NHLPA on Thursday.

As first reported by Eklund, but confirmed by multiple sources on Friday, the NHL's latest offer moved closer towards what the union was negotiating for.

According to the report, the league's offer moved the maximum term for player contracts from five years to six, although a team can re-sign its own player for seven years. In addition, the variability would increase from 5% to 10%, while the Make Whole program would remain at $300 million.

Also, ESPN's Pierre LeBrun reported that each team would be allowed to have one compliance buyout before the start of the 2013-14 season. Although the money for this buyout wouldn't count against the salary cap, it would impact the players' share of Hockey Related Revenue. For the Blueshirts, this clause would allow the team to buyout defenseman Wade Redden.

Time is running short to get a deal done. All games through January 14th are cancelled, and the next wave of cancellations would wipe out the remainder of the year.

Also, the NHLPA has until midnight on January 2nd to decide whether they will file a disclaimer of interest.

Will a deal get hammered out? Share your thoughts below.