FanPost

Trade deadline approaching: What do we need to win the Stanley Cup?

With the deadline looming in a couple of weeks and the halfway point just past us, what does out team need to WIN the Stanley Cup? I know alot of us suggested a couple of weeks ago that they would stand pat. The logic is that the Rangers should be a very good team for at least the next 4 or 5 year and we can develope into that Cup Team. I am thinking that this season has been such a bonus in that nobody expected this team to be as good as it is especially with the injuries to our defensive core....we are so close, we need to go for it without sacrificing the core. We have seen the rumors linking the Rangers to Bobby Ryan, Suter, Weber, Ruttuu etc. What does this team really need to make the run? I think arugably outside of Boston, The Rangers have the best goaltending tandem in the league.....similar to 1994. Biron has played about as good as any starter in the NHL. More than capable back up to the King. I know the Rangers are a top 6 forward away from being deadly to even the top teams in the league. I don't think a guy like Prospal makes us significantly better at this time nor does it make us more dangerous in the playoffs. Yes, I love the dollar sign graphic when he scores but I think we need a core player to add not only for this season but for the next few. Considering we are likely going to lose a player like Dubinsky on any serious deal we make. While Bobby Ryan interests me, Paul Stastny has me salivating. This guy is apparently available and I beleive he is signed through next season. I just read where 75% of colorados roster is UFA or RFA this summer, so they are going to have a ton of work to do. Statsny is about a pt a game player over his almost 400 game career so far. I think he is dynamic and he would give us some instant street cred......I liken the effect to getting Parise which will never happen. I think Stat's it that kind of player with that kind of potential impact. Proposal: To NY- Paul Statsny 3rd rd pick To Colorado- B. Dubinsky, W. Wolski, P. Valentenko, 2nd rd pick (or) Dubinsky, Wolski, Boyle (this option would increase the need to bring in a player like Rutuu) I'm at a loss at what to do with the defense. If Sauer was here, I'd likely stand pat but without him and addressing the need for a power play QB, can we make a move that addresses both defensive improvement and offensive production from the blueline? Going for a guy like Suter who may not resign is too dangerous for us. I think our current line up gets us into the 2nd rd. Maybe if we are lucky the 3rd. This is a very good team, but not quite a cup winner yet. sorry in advance, I couldn't figure out how to space out the paragraphs.