FanPost

The Case for Ray Whitney

ESPN's Pierre Lebrun has noted:

ESPN Insider Pierre LeBrun posted this update.

Ray Whitney is on the radar of a few contenders and with good reason. The Wizard is amazingly leading the Phoenix Coyotes in scoring at 39 years old.

An unrestricted free agent July 1, he could be on the move if the Coyotes fall out of the playoff race over the next two weeks.

Sources have told ESPN.com that Boston, San Jose and the New York Rangers covet the slick playmaker.

The tricky part is that Whitney has a no-move clause that calls for him to list eight teams to which he’d be willing to be traded. A source told ESPN.com on Thursday that that conversation had yet to happen, which makes sense since the Coyotes remain very much in the playoff race at this point.

Still, a name worth keeping an eye on.

Lets Take a look at a few things here and as to why Ray would be a nice fit at the deadline:

Whitney currently has 16 goals and 33 assists for a total of 49 points. If he were a Ranger, he would be leading the team in points. He could easily hit 70 points or more at his age. He is pushing 40 years old and has been around the block but he would bring tons of playoff experience. Whitney played a key role during the Hurricanes cup run in 2006. He would add much needed balance to our lines and would most likely give Richards the spark he needs. He would also bring some nice offensive skill to the powerplay.

The benefit here is that we would not need to break the bank for Whitney and hold on to all of our key prospects. As we all know the rangers have a solid rep with Phoenix with Don Maloney as GM. Sather and Maloneys relationship probably give us the edge over Sharks and Bruins if we wanted Whitneys services.

I just think Whitney would make the most sense at teh deadline to give us a nice jolt going forward into the playoffs?

What do you guys think?