FanPost

How Would You Feel if Dubinsky Was Traded?

Obviously the Rangers have been involved in a ton of trade rumors lately, especially on this site. The one name that gets thrown around a lot that stands out is forward Brandon Dubinsky. Just a year ago he was a young scorer who appeared to be a cornerstone for the Blueshirts moving forward, yet trading him makes sense for a couple of major reasons.

He has a ton to offer a team; he is only 25, and in his first four full seasons he racked up 71 goals and 179 points. Dubinsky has also demonstrated solid two-way ability, and excels at penalty killing. However, this year the offense is way down. With just 6 goals at the 50 game mark, Dubi has found himself on the 3rd line. It is very likely that many teams out there believe that with the right line mates and ice time, he can be back to his 25+ goals a year ways.

The other major reason is money. The Rangers are rumored to want another big name player, whether it be Rick Nash at the deadline or Parise next summer. With three players already inked to monster contracts, some things would have to be moved around to accommodate another 6-7 million a year cap hit. Dubinsky is a cap hit of over 4 million, and all things considered that is simply too much for his output. As harsh as it may sound, Sather knows he can get a 10-goal scorer for about 3 million less. Were the Rangers to make a move for a big player, trading Dubi would likely cover over half of the cap hit.

Personally I'm torn. On one hand it would be kind of sad to see him go. It reminds me of that episode in every TV show where a team works hard and makes it to the big game, only to bring in some superstar who takes someone's place. But on the other hand I realize this is a business, and hometown loyalty goes out the window for money and wins (thank you Jose Reyes). So how would you guys feel about this?

(PS: This was my first fan post so constructive criticism is definitely welcomed)

(PPS: Please don't turn this into another Rick Nash trade thread haha)