New York Rangers Trade Rumors: Would You Trade For Jeff Carter

Last week we tossed around the idea of the New York Rangers potentially making a move for Rick Nash. But it's actually Nash's teammate, Jeff Carter, who seems destined to be moved from Columbus.

Carter signed an 11-year contract with the Philadelphia Flyers, expecting to finish his career with the team that drafted him in the first round in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. But the Flyers had other plans, and shipped both Carter and Mike Richards off in separate trades to make room for Ilya Bryzgalov.

Richards found his was to Los Angeles, playing for the Kings. Carter, on the other hand, was traded to Columbus, a move he was so unhappy about that it took him a few days to even speak about the trade. There are musings that Carter might want out of Columbus, and if he does should Glen Sather make a play for him?

Join me after the jump for more.

From now until the deadline we're going to grapple with two different ideas: making a big splash at the deadline, or making a few depth moves. If Sather were to make a play at Carter it would certianly be a big splash move, but would it cost as much as a usual blockbuster does?

There is no denying that Carter didn't ever want to leave Philadelphia. And there's also no denying that he's not having a good season so far for Columbus (12 goals and 19 points in just 34 games). That's a far cry from a guy who scored 46 goals in 2008-2009 and has scored 33 and 36 goals the past two seasons.

Maybe it has something to do with the injury (he's missed time this year for a separated right shoulder), or maybe it has to do with the fact that he doesn't want to play in Columbus; but a change of scenery might be just what he needs to get back going.

Although Carter never wanted to leave Philadelphia, getting moved to New York might be just the spark he needs. The Rangers are an original six team, they play in the biggest market in America and they are in the thicket of the Stanley Cup race.

Now, onto the logistics. Carter's cap hit is much more friendly than Nash's, although his contract is also much longer. Carter is signed through 2022, but his cap hit is a reasonable $5.27 million. That means that moving Wolski ($3.8 million hit) would do most of the damage (since the Rangers have $1.5 million in space already).

Just like with our Nash discussions, Wolski would provide the Blue Jackets with a RFA who they either take a risk on if they feel fit to, or let walk if they aren't pleased with what he brings to the table. Prospects and draft picks would also have to be included, but it might be worth it to bring in the goal scorer. Still, Carter might never be cheaper than he is right now.

Of his 193 career goals, 54 have come on the power play. In the past three seasons (not including this year) he has 115 goals in 236 games -- if you add in assists he has 211 points in that timeframe. That's a big boost of offense to a Rangers team that can still use the help on the power play.

The downside? Carter has been known to glide and his attitude in Columbus can't be overlooked. I honestly attribute it to him not wanting to be in Columbus, but it's still a major red flag that needs to be examined before and potential moves are made.

So what are your thoughts on this guys? Would you make a move for Carter if he is available?