2012 NHL Trade Deadline: Recapping The Deals

NEW YORK, NY - FEBRUARY 25: The New York Rangers react following a goal by Ryan Callahan #24 of the New York Rangers in overtime to defeat the Buffalo Sabres at Madison Square Garden on February 25, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)

The start to the 2012 NHL Trade Deadline was definitely dull for a good three to four hours leading up to 3:00. However, we started having some deals coming in by the minutes as we were just over an hour to the deadline. This deadline was easily saved by one of the last deals that sent Cody Hodgson to the Buffalo Sabres.

The New York Rangers also stood pat for the most part, until they acquired John Scott from the Chicago Blackhawks. It is believed that the Rangers were contacting the Blue Jackets throughout the day regarding Rick Nash. In the end, they were unable to get anything done, after supposedly offering a "mammoth" deal according to Darren Dreger.

It is still unknown what that deal included, but I'm pretty sure it was good for the Rangers that the Jackets did not accept it. In my opinion it was a good day for Glen Sather, even with the lack of moves that were made.

Follow after the jump for more.

Even though the Rangers have had some scoring issues this season, as well as some power play issues, it can still be fixed. The Rangers are not in first by pure luck, and they definitely do not lack skill what-so-ever. The Rangers still have a bunch of cap space heading into this off-season, that will also play a part in re-signing guys like Michael Del Zotto, and Brandon Prust.

Overall, Sather made some good deals prior to the deadline, in order to shed the cap space that I mentioned above. Getting suitors for both Erik Christensen and Wojtek Wolski was a tough task, but in the end, Sather was able to get a deal done. So for now, the Rangers will be heading into the playoffs with the roster they have been running all season long. We shall see where it brings them.