Behind The Scenes: The Erik Christensen Trade

NEW YORK, NY - NOVEMBER 05: Erik Christensen #40 of the New York Rangers takes the ice against the Montreal Canadiens at Madison Square Garden on November 5, 2011 in New York City. (Photo by Nick Laham/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers and Minnesota Wild swapped players today, as Erik Christensen was sent to the Wild for Casey Wellman. Luckily enough for Blueshirt Banter, I was around to hear the discussion that led up to the trade.

CF stands for Chuck Fletcher, the Wild GM, and GS stands for Glen Sather, the Rangers GM. Enjoy.

****

GS: Hey Chuck, how ya doing?

CF: Glen, I don't want Wade Redden.

GS: No, it's different this time.

CF: Glen, I know how good Henrik Lundqvist is. I don't know why you keep calling me to tell me that.

GS: I have a proposal you can't refuse.

CF: Is that a threat? What?

GS: I want Devin Setoguchi. I feel like he would play well in Tortorella's style.

CF: And what style is that?

GS: That'll be the plot of the next Die Hard film, so I'll refrain from answering that question.

CF: Well Setoguchi, nor any of our big name players are available, so how about a minor deal?

GS: How about I fleece you like I did to Montreal and just take Setoguchi off your hands?

CF: Glen, you aren't supposed to tell me you're about to rip me off.

GS: Oh, right, forget that. You're going to rip me off. You can have Erik Christensen.

CF: Erik Christensen? What the heck is an Erik Christensen?

GS: You haven't heard? The eighth wonder of the world? Christensen is a shootout extraordinaire, and is great for when your team needs to hide out after controversy because no one can see him,

CF: Is this guy even real? You're making him sound like an action figure?

GS: Yeah, look him up, search "invisible man scores goal in NHL game" on Google.

CF: Wow, he is real! Why would I want an invisible hockey player, though?

GS: If the defense can't see him, how will they stop him?

CF: Like Chara trying to defend Zuccarello? I don't think he can bend that low.

GS: Exactly, so you can have Christensen, and we'll take Setoguchi.

CF: No Setoguchi, how about...uhh...Casey Wellman. He plays well, man!

GS: If I accept that offer will you never say that joke again.

CF: Sure, what number does Christensen wear?

GS: Hahaha you have so much to learn.

CF: What's his phone # to tell him about the trade?

GS: Hahahaha.

CF: ....Glen?

GS: Just don't be surprised when you see pucks moving around in practice randomly without any players nearby.

CF: Oh dear.