Great Day To Love New York Sports

Did you wake up this morning with a huge smile on your face? Even for those of you who follow the New York Rangers but aren't New York Giants fans, you can at least appreciate the Rangers crushing the Philadelphia Flyers Sunday afternoon at Madison Square Garden.

Much like the Giants, the Rangers are proving to the world that they're a force to be reckoned with. The Rangers could have folded when the Flyers scored a power play goal to start the third period, tying the game at two. But Marian Gaborik slid a smooth pass to Michael Del Zotto who game the Rangers a 3-2 lead and a fresh burst of confidence.

In the end, that's what this season has been so far for the Rangers, a year full of big wins and confidence.

Join me after the jump for more.

The win is more than just two points, and a newly minted five-point lead in the Atlantic Division. It's a confidence building for what will amount to be a grueling week for the Rangers. The Rangers' next five games are as follows: home against New Jersey and Tampa Bay, on the road against Philadelphia, home again against Washington before going to Boston to take on the Bruins.

That's two games against division rivals, one game against the Bruins -- who are chasing the Rangers for first place in the Eastern Conference -- and then two tough games against the Lightning and the Capitals.

The Rangers will have a lot of work to do the next five game, but a winning record would continue to allow the Rangers' confidence to grow. The confidence the Rangers have gained so far this year have allowed the team to hold the mentality that they can stay with anyone in the league and that no deficit is insurmountable.

The Rangers have been proving both of those traits all season long.