FanPost

Looking Ahead...

What a great first 50 games it's been!

Two of the storylines stand out to me. Specifically how to breathe life into the pp, & what, if any moves, should Slats make before the deadline.

Unique topics, I know.

First the power play. I searched for the right word to describe the man "advantage" situation, & finally found it in Webster's Dictionary.

stag·nant/ˈstagnənt/

Adjective:

  1. (of a body of water or the atmosphere of a confined space) Having no current or flow and often having an unpleasant smell as a consequence.
  2. Showing no activity; dull and sluggish: "a stagnant economy".
  3. The New York Rangers Power Play (also see pentagon shapes/geometry).

Having watched every game this year there seems to be a solution in terms of system that is right in front of them & not being used.

The Rangers generally play a strong 4-on-4 game, cycling well & getting a fair amount of chances. Why not stick a big forward right on top of the crease (Rupp/Boyle, even Cally) & play that 4 man cycle, which will open up seams, creating chances. Sure, they attack the net now, but only after the puck is already in front.

The other thing I'd do is give Richards a couple games off the pp completely. Take it away & make him want it even more when he gets the chance again. For a guy who has incredible vision & ability he looks lost at times out there. I have faith though that the real BR will show himself before this season's out.

Secondly, the trade deadline.

Lots of names are being thrown around by many a hopeful fan. For me, the most important move Sather can make is to ensure that the great young core of this team is in tact for the forseeable future.

At this point, only Fedetenko, Mitchell, Wolski, Bickel, Eminger & Stralman should be made available via trade.

Sure names like Bobby Ryan, Ryan Suter or Martin St. Louis would look great in Broadway Blue, but at what cost. This team is just starting to enter what could be a fantastic stretch of years, with Kreider, Miller, Bourque, Thomas, Erixon & McIlrath on their way.

1994 may have been successful in terms of exchanging the future for an immediate cup, but at what cost? The ship sank slowly but it sunk for more than a few years, wallowing around in the contracts of such hall of shame embarrassing names as Martin Rucinsky, Bruce Driver, Martin Rucinsky, Chris Drury, Martin Rucinsky, Wade Redden & on & on & on.

Draft picks are the only other tool Stogie McStogerson should be allowed to dangle in front of anyone. Save the core & the money for the summer, when names like Parise, Doan & Hejduk become available.

Either way, I couldn't be more ecstatic about where this franchise is heading. The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

This is my first attempt at writing something in here. If I get positive feedback I'm going to try to turn this into a regular thing, so feel free to let me know what you think. And whether you agree with me or anything I've written here or not, I thank you for taking time out of your day to read it.

Let's Go Rangers!!!!

Mike On The Mic

aka the biggest NYR fan in Canada!