Breaking News: Sean Avery Could Be Retiring

NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 17: Sean Avery #16 of the New York Rangers looks on against the Washington Capitals in Game Three of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2011 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Madison Square Garden on April 17, 2011 in New York City. Sean Avery was arrested in Hollywood in the early hours of August 5, 2011 for battery of a police officer who was reportedly responding to a loud party at his home. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

Multiple reports are stating that New York Rangers/Connecticut Whale forward, Sean Avery is retiring from the National Hockey League. According to NHL.com, Avery announced during a TV segment of Watch What Happens Live, that he is officially retiring from the game of hockey. Rather then sum it up for you guys, here is the direct quote from Avery himself.

"I am officially retired. I threw my skates in the Hudson."

Sean Avery was recently left off of the clear day roster in the American Hockey League, which would make him ineligible for the remainder of the regular season, and the upcoming Calder Cup Playoffs. Avery also had a bumpy ride this season with the New York Rangers, as he failed to make the opening day roster for the New York Rangers.

If the report holds true, Avery will be going out with 580 career games under his belt, along with 157 goals and 247 assists throughout his entire career in the NHL.

Also, be sure to check out this weeks noon number by Joe.