New York Rangers News: Tim Erixon Called Up

According to Mitchell Beck, the New York Rangers have called up defenseman Tim Erixon from the Connecticut Whale. From Beck:

Ken Gernander confirms to media that Tim Erixon is headed to the

This isn't exactly a surprising move -- in fact, I speculated this could happen on March 9th -- especially after the Rangers' defense got lit up by the Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday night in a 5-2 loss. In that loss one of the biggest defensive issues was Steve Eminger, who hasn't been the same since a mid-season shoulder injury.

Since it's still unknown if Michael Del Zotto will be in the lineup tonight, Erixon might be replacing Eminger to add some offensive spark to the blue line, something the Rangers are lacking without Del Zotto in the lineup. Erixon has 33 points in 43 games for the Connecticut Whale this season.

Technically the Erixon call up is still unconfirmed, so we'll keep you posted with whether or not he plays tonight. (10:15 A.M. UPDATE: The move was just confirmed.)

Thoughts?