Dan Girardi Nominated For The Bill Masterton Trophy

March 1, 2012; Raleigh, NC, USA; New York Rangers defensemen Dan Girardi (6) against the Carolina Hurricanes at the RBC center. The Rangers defeated the Hurricanes, 3-2. Mandatory Credit: James Guillory-US PRESSWIRE

Earlier this morning the Professional Hockey Writers' Association (PHWA) has nominated New York Rangers defenseman, Dan Girardi. This is quite the year for Dan Girardi as he was selected for the 2012 All-Star game in Ottawa earlier in the year, and now is nominated for an award.

In case some of you are wondering what this trophy is all about, here is a short description of it:

The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy is an annual award under the trusteeship of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association and is given to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.

Girardi has had a fantastic season, totaling up five goals, 21 assists, and 163 blocked shots which is ninth among all players in the National Hockey League. There have been four past Rangers which have on the Masterton Trophy which were Adam Graves in 2001, Andres Hedberg in 1985, Rod Gilbert in 1976, and finally Jean Ratelle in 1971.