Rangers Vs. Red Wings: Ryan Callahan Wins It In Overtime As Rangers Beat Wings 2-1

NEW YORK, NY - MARCH 21: Ryan Callahan #24 of the New York Rangers celebrates his game winning goal at 2:42 of overtime to defeat the Detroit Red Wings 2-1 at Madison Square Garden on March 21, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers came away with another big win tonight against the slumping Detroit Red Wings. Ryan Callahan won the game in overtime to get his 27th goal of the season, on his 27th birthday.

The Rangers had some great pressure in the opening minutes of the game, and getting some early shots. However, the Red Wings were the first to get on the board with a goal coming from Henrik Zetterberg. Ian White made a great play at the blueline and fed it over to Zetterberg who beat Lundqvist through the five hole. It's definitely a goal that Lundqvist would like to have back, if he had the chance.

At 14:30 of the period, the Red Wings made a horrendous change which resulted in a total of nine skaters being on the ice. With that, the Rangers were sent to their first power play of the game, where Brad Richards went coast-to-coast and slipped it past Ty Conklin. Richards scored a similar goal against the New York Islanders, when he walked through three players. Henrik Lundqvist also picked up an assist on the Richards goal, and that is his second assist in four games (I had to).

Follow after the jump for more.

The game was pretty much even through the second and third periods, as both teams had their respective chances. Henrik Lundqvist and Ty Conklin had to be on edge the entire game, this one was ridiculously close, and hard fought by both teams.

After some late pressure by the Rangers, this game would need to be decided with some extra time. Just 2:42 into the overtime period, captain Ryan Callahan put it off the post and in to seal the game for the Rangers. Michael Del Zotto made a great play to take his time and allow Callahan to open up for a pass.

This was probably the most complete game the Rangers have played the entire season, and the win made it that much more satisfying. With that win, the Rangers move up to three points on the Penguins once again, but have one less game played tomorrow. The Rangers will close out their seven game home stand, against the Buffalo Sabres on Friday.