FanPost

Quebec To Get A NHL Team Again?

Quebec is currently spending $8 million to upgrade the Pepsi Colisee (formerly the Le' Colisee where the Nordiques played). They're basically opening up their arms for a NHL team.

Teams that can move are Coyotes (even as soon as the end of this season), Islanders in 2015, and I wouldn't be shocked to see a team like the Stars or Panthers to move. Southern market hockey is struggling.

I doubt at the moment Bettman wants to move any team but the Coyotes are the most likely candidate. Listening to TSN this morning, they were saying Quebec could take a franchise at the moment but for the next three years until the upgrades are complete, take losses estimating at about $20 million a season which is a lot. A lot of owners would not want that.

Or they can be an expansion franchise which is highly unlikely.

This got me thinking about re-alignment if Quebec gets another team. They'd have to move forward with what they originally planned this year but here's what I think they should do:

There are currently 30 teams in the league and the league is most likely not looking to expand. What I would like is the league to get rid of two teams if that's even possible. It doesn't have to be immediate but the league should put a plan in place to get rid of two teams over time.

Obviously we all may have preference as to which two teams get eliminated (my ultimate two choices are Blue Jackets and Panthers for various reasons). But it's simply not possible to just throw out two teams nobody likes.

That's just my two cents. You get rid of two teams and have four divisions with 7 teams in them. 4 teams make the playoffs from each division and you have to get out of your division before advancing. A rip off of the old format.

Would you like Quebec to get a team again? I know I would.

Please take the poll below.