FanPost

Could Cally Get a Nomination?

This just got into my head and wouldn't leave after I read CBC's 30 Thoughts: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/03/quebec-arena-announcement-ends-strange-week-30-thoughts.html. See specifically Thought # 15.

The author mentions that he thinks there's an outside chance that David Backes could garner some Selke nominations. That got me to thinking about Callahan; him and Backes play similar styles. I wanted to take a gander at Callahan's stats versus Backes' and see where it went.

Warning: this is (mostly) just an exercise. When comparing these two to the players most likely to be nominated and win I don't think that they would qualify.

I was unsure exactly what statistics are used in Selke consideration so I looked at obvious ones like points, blocked shots, giveaways, and takeaways. I only barely dipped into the more advanced stats because I don't believe that those are really used at all in Selke voting (and to be honest I don't understand them enough to make definitive comparisons using them).

Callahan only just edges Backes in goals (27 to 23) with a minutely better goals/60 minutes stat (0.70 to 0.68). They are dead even on points at 51 but because Cally has played 7 fewer games his points/60 is better (1.80 to 1.61). They also have matched takeaways at 47 (which isn't even close to the league leaders) but Cally has a better giveaway/takeaway ratio with a slightly lower number of giveaways. In terms of blocked shots, of course, Cally betters Backes by 18.

Backes edges Cally on many of the advanced stats having both a (usually) better number and a team rank (although Backes does play first-line minutes that might explain his better QualComp and Corsi ratings). Again, his numbers and ranks don't outdo Cally's by that much. Overall, any comparison between them seems to be a wash (Cally has ~40 more hits though so take that!).

So, if there is some rumbling about a Backes nomination should Cally also get a look (if only that)?