Notes From The New York Rangers' Win Over The Winnipeg Jets

Mar 28, 2012; Winnipeg, MB, CAN; New York Rangers celebrate a goal by New York Rangers forward Brian Boyle (22) during the third period against the Winnipeg Jets at the MTS Centre. New York Rangers win 4-2. Mandatory Credit: Bruce Fedyck-US PRESSWIRE

- Now that was a playoff caliber win. The New York Rangers were down, seemed out of it and then willed themselves back into the game with hard work and determination. These are the types of efforts we have become so used to seeing from the Rangers this year. These are the types of attitudes that win playoff games.

- There are going to be plenty of stick salutes this morning, so let's start with the captain. Not only did Ryan Callahan score a huge power play goal but he also blocked about three shots on that five-on-three and kept his motor running in the offensive zone all game. I really can't say enough about his game or his drive. I just can't. You either watch it on a nightly basis or you don't understand. Period.

- Speaking of huge performances, Michael Del Zotto everyone. A goal (and a shorthanded one at that) and an assist. I think Del Zotto's game has been good the past few weeks, the points just haven't been there. It's good to see him get some to reinforce just how successful he's been this season. He also has a career-high 38 points, and seems poised to hit 40 before the year is over.

Join me after the jump for more.

- I loved Marian Gaborik's play Wednesday night. He was all over the ice, create two serious scoring chances out of nothing (although he didn't bury either) and moved the puck well on the power play. Oh yeah, he also racked up two assists. He has really, really stepped up the past few games.

- Henrik Lundqvist was remarkable Wednesday. Remarkable. He has started the past seven games so he can get into a bit of a flow before the playoffs. Consider this done and done.

- Brad Richards also had a big day. The power play connected once, and Richards was a big part of that. He assisted on the goal, and was a major player in the Rangers transitional game all night. After a mid-season slump to forget, Richards has exploded the final third of the season. And just in time for the playoffs.

- Also, since we discussed it last week. That is why Derek Stepan is on the power play. He's made some mistakes this year, no doubt about that, but he's still young. That was a great play to not only settle the puck but rifle it into the net. And what a big goal it was.

- Props to Brian Boyle too. What a game he played Wednesday night. A goal, tons of blocks and hits. Can't ask for much more, except faceoff wins, which he provided as well.

- Speaking of the playoffs, the Rangers are now a full five points ahead of the Pittsburgh Penguins, although Pittsburgh holds a game in hand. Still, with just a handful of games left in the regular season, this is a relativley commanding lead.