Chris Kreider And The New York Rangers Are In Contract Talks

Apr 7, 2012; Tampa, FL, USA; Boston College Eagles forward Chris Kreider (19) sets up the play against the Ferris State Bulldogs during the first period of the finals of the 2012 Frozen Four at Tampa Bay Times Forum. Mandatory Credit: Douglas Jones-US PRESSWIRE

As soon as the NCAA Frozen Four concluded, Ranger fans around the world were waiting to hear this news. Before his college season was even over, it was expected that Kreider would forgo his senior season at Boston College to join the New York Rangers. As of today, both Chris Kreider and the New York Rangers have begun their initial contract talks, according to ESPN New York.

However, it still remains to be seen if Kreider will make his NHL debut with the Rangers in the upcoming 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Rangers also have the option of sending Kreider down to their AHL affiliate, the Connecticut Whale, which is the best option as of right now, in my opinion.

Throwing a highly sought after prospect like Kreider in to the Stanley Cup Playoffs, will not bode with his future. Look at Carl Hagelin for example, he played a quarter of the season in the AHL, and found himself on the Rangers top line shortly after.

As of right now though, all signs are indicating that Kreider will become a New York Ranger soon enough.