FanPost

Bad Refereeing Mar Stanley Cup

Even though I’m pleased with the Rangers 4 to 1, eh hem, 4-2 win last night. I’m concerned about the blatant non-calls and blown calls. I understand mistakes or misinterpretations of a situation, but there were some clear yet missed calls.

The first game I watched, an obvious blown call, was Briere’s first goal in Game 1 versus the Penguins. And while I like the result (Penguins Lose), the missed call essentially cost the Penguins the game.

In the Rangers Game 1 Callahan was tripped in the 3rd period which led to the Senator’s second goal. Thankfully we were up enough to win, but what if the game was on the line? I'm sure there were calls that could have gone against the Rangers too, but thats not the point.

And the last game I’ve watched thus far was Game 1 of Washington – Boston. With 40 seconds left in the third period Lucic blatantly tripped Semin (who had the puck), enough so that the announcers called it out. No penalty was called and 1 minute and 58 seconds later (at 1:18 of OT) Boston scored. Boston should have had to kill a penalty.

Non-calls change that dynamic of the game. They promote, even reward further bad behavior. The NHL should take this into consideration when reviewing and instructing the refs.