2012 NHL Playoffs: Rangers Take Game Three With Huge 1-0 Win Over Senators

OTTAWA, CANADA - APRIL 16: Brian Boyle #22 of the New York Rangers celebrates his third period goal against the Ottawa Senators in Game Three of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at the Scotiabank Place on April 16, 2012 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The Rangers defeated the Senators 1-0. (Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers came away with a huge, and I mean huge, game three victory over the Ottawa Senators to take a 2-1 series lead. Brian Boyle and Henrik Lundqvist both came away with huge performances for the Rangers, and helped secure this win in Ottawa.

First off, Brian Boyle is having himself a heck of a post season so far for the Rangers. He now has goals in all three games of the playoffs, and also has eight goals in his last 12 games. Good time to kick it into gear, Boyler. This game was action packed from start to finish, with end-to-end rushes coming on both ends of the rink.

Surprisingly, this game didn't boil over nearly as much as it did in game two, but it definitely had its ups and downs. This game was scoreless through two periods, as both goaltenders were putting on a show for the home town fans in Ottawa. Now I'm not trying to take anything away from each team's defense, but man these goalies were on tonight.

Follow after the jump for more.

Nearing the end of the second period, Chris Kreider had a golden opportunity to come away with his first NHL goal, but pushed it wide. Speaking of Kreider, I think the kid handled himself pretty good tonight, for being thrown into a playoff game just like that.

Kreider spent most of the game on the top line with Brad Richards, and Marian Gaborik before being moved down, nearing the end of the game. While he did look out of place at the beginning, you can't really blame the kid, he adjusted well throughout the game though.

Anyways, the Rangers were finally able to break this scoreless drought, as none other than Brian Boyle came through at a huge point in the game. Boyle pounced on a rebound in front of Anderson, and chipped it over his shoulder for the crucial goal.

The Rangers dropped back into a defensive mindset once again, but this time, they learned from their past failure. The Rangers literally stacked up a wall in the neutral zone, which gave the Senators a hard time gaining the zone. However, the Senators were able to amp up the pressure late in the game.

Henrik Lundqvist played like a beast tonight, and held off everything that the Senators threw at him tonight. The save of the night had to be the save in the dying minute, as Lundqvist robbed Kyle Turris of an empty net tap in. The puck squeaked out at the top of the crease, but Lundqvist was able to somehow get his pad on it to keep this game at 1-0.

The Rangers and Lundqvist were able to hold on, and come away with a huge win on the road. The Rangers will ride a 2-1 series lead into Ottawa once again, on Wednesday night where they will face-off in game four.

SB Nation Featured Video