NHL Breaking News: Raffi Torres Gets Hefty 25 Game Ban From The NHL

April 17, 2012; Chicago, IL, USA; Phoenix Coyotes left wing Raffi Torres (37) and Chicago Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford (50) look for the puck during the first period in game three of the 2012 Western Conference quarterfinals at the United Center. Mandatory Credit: Rob Grabowski-US PRESSWIRE

I know this isn't something regarding the New York Rangers, but it's definitely a topic that's worth posting about. Since the playoffs have started, a lot of fans, and even NHL teams have questioned the recent rulings of Brendan Shanahan. It all started with the lack of a suspension towards Nashville Predators defenseman, Shea Weber, after he slammed Henrik Zetterberg's face into the glass. A lot of which lead to Carl Hagelin being suspended after his elbow to the head of Senators Captain, Daniel Alfredsson.

Today however, Shanahan handed out a hefty 25-game suspension to Raffi Torres after he launched himself in to the head of Blackhawks star Marian Hossa. Now before you question the length of the suspension, let me read you this, which comes directly from Darren Dreger. "As much as the Torres suspension is about Hossa's injury, it's about the [five] prior incidents and very similar acts requiring discipline."

Torres has had a terrible history when it comes to illegal hits to the head, and there's no arguing that this was any different. After questioning Shanahan for his recent suspensions (or lack of..), I'm sure we can all agree Shanny got this one right, for once. The league finally took the term of "repeat offender"

If you didn't see the hit, or simply want to see it again, the video will be available after the jump.