2012 NHL Playoffs: Rangers Drop Crucial Game Five, On The Brink; Boyle Concussed

NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 21: Brian Boyle #22 of the New York Rangers gets up off the ice after being hit against the Ottawa Senators in Game Five of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Madison Square Garden on April 21, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Mike Stobe/Getty Images)

If you thought the Rangers would come out flying in this game, after dropping a heart breaking Game Four, you were mistaken. The Rangers were completely out-muscled in every portion of the rink. You would have thought this was game one of the regular season, the Rangers were completely flat. Anyways, onto the recap.

Jason Spezza was able to give the Senators the first lead and only lead of the night with a snapper from the circles. The Senators were able to get behind the Rangers defensemen each and every time down the ice, and this was definitely not the same Rangers we have been watching all season long.

However, the Rangers did have a few great chances to put the puck in the net, but Craig Anderson had another solid performance in net. Although, the Rangers did make his job rather easy tonight, and only challenged him a hand full of times. The Rangers came away with about 40 shots on net, but 30 of those were routine saves, and Anderson made every single one.

Follow after the jump for more.

The Rangers offense was flat from the first line, all the way through to the fourth line. To add even more salt in the wound, Chris Neil delivered a questionable hit, with left Brian Boyle concussed after getting back to his feet. Following the game, John Tortorella said "he's out", regarding the status of Boyle for game six.

Michael Del Zotto also had one of his worst games of the year, coughing up puck after puck in both ends of the rink. I'm not even going to get started on the power play issues, they speak for themselves. The Rangers spoke about keeping the intensity flowing, but they brought everything but that intensity to the rink tonight.

The Rangers now find themselves heading back to Ottawa down 3-2 in the series, and on the brink of elimination. This game should have been like a game seven for the Rangers, but they were unable to get it done. On to the next one (hopefully not the last).