Game One: Third Period Thread

NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 28: Alex Ovechkin #8 of the Washington Capitals falls to the ice against Ryan McDonagh #27 of the New York Rangers in the first period in Game One of the Eastern Conference Semifinals during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Madison Square Garden on April 28, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

After the first period the Washington Capitals lead the New York Rangers in shots 6 to 4 despite the Rangers controlling the play for large portions of the first.

The second period saw the Rangers killing a 5-on-3 for almost forty seconds after Brandon Prust was called for Boarding at 7:53. The huge penalty kill energized and roused the Garden Faithful who certainly made their voices heard and encouraged the fantastic efforts of the Rangers penalty kill.

At 12:38 of the second period Artem Anisimov buried his first goal of the 2012 NHL playoffs on a wrap-around. Rusland Fedotenko and Ryan McDonagh were credited with assists on the play. The Rangers were poised to go into the third with a one goal lead but a last-minute rush up the ice by the Capitals tied the game at 19:56 when Jason Chimera scored his second goal of the playoffs. Brooks Laich made a fantastic saucer pass and put the puck just where it needed to be for the Capitals to draw even to the Rangers.

After two the score is tied 1-1, the Capitals lead the Rangers in shots 13-8. Enjoy the rest of the game guys.