2012 NHL Playoffs: Rangers Drop Game Two And Head Back To Washington Tied At One

NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 30: Alex Ovechkin #8 of the Washington Capitals celebrates with teammates Marcus Johansson #90 and Nicklas Backstrom #19 after Ovechkin scored a goal to give the Capitals a 3-2 lead in the third period in Game Two of the Eastern Conference Semifinals during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Madison Square Garden on April 30, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

Unfortunately the New York Rangers weren't able to get it done tonight, as they dropped game two by a score of 3-2. Michael Del Zotto hit a pair of posts in the third period, which could have been the deciding factor. The Capitals got a late third period goal from Alexander Ovechkin to take the win.

This game didn't quite start out the way game one did for the Rangers, rather it was back and forth from both ends. Mike Knuble would come away with the first goal of the game, off of a very pretty tic-tac-toe passing play in front. It all started with a bad decision by Stu Bickel, to force a cross ice pass, with the Capitals pressing. Had Bickel played it safe, and dumped the puck deep, the Rangers would have been out of trouble.

Just five minutes later, the Capitals struck again off of another bad play in their defensive end. Henrik Lundqvist attempted to play the puck, but had to wait as it was still outside of the trapezoid. As a result, Jason Chimera had enough time to beat out the Lundqvist, and swat it away from him.

Follow after the jump for more.

Chimera was able to chip the puck out front, where Anton Stralman and Lundqvist both dove into the crease to keep the puck out. At first, it appeared the cleared to the side of the net, until Chimera gave one last whack at the puck. It would deflect off of Ryan McDonagh's skate, and into the net, to make it 2-0 Caps.

With just under a minute remaining in the first period, Brad Richards received a pretty pass from Marian Gaborik to bring them back within a goal. The second period would go by without any goals being scored, as the Rangers began to pick up their game, heading into the third period.

The Rangers hard work paid off as they were rewarded with a power play, just six minutes into the third period. Ryan Callahan was able to redirect home a blast from the point, by Michael Del Zotto, and the game was tied. Follow the goal, Brad Richards took a very lazy holding penalty on Troy Brouwer, in the defensive end, which would send the Caps to a power play.

Alex Ovechkin would score almost immediately off of the faceoff, and rifled it under the bar to make it 3-2 Capitals. As NBC was showing the replay, I couldn't help but notice the blatant interference from Nicklas Backstrom after he won the faceoff against Brian Boyle. He proceeded to hold Boyle, which allowed Ovechkin to get that much room at the top of the circles. Anyways, there's no changing the fact that it went in the net.

In the closing minutes, Michael Del Zotto would clang another shot off the post, which could have potentially tied the game for the Rangers. However, lucky wasn't in their favor tonight, and the Capitals went on to win the game 3-2. So, we will now head back to Washington with this series all knotted up at one. Both teams will have one day off before heading back into Washington for game three on Wednesday.

Believe.