New York Rangers Playoff Player Profile- Ryan Callahan

NEW YORK, NY - MARCH 21: Ryan Callahan #24 of the New York Rangers celebrates his game winning goal at 2:42 of overtime to defeat the Detroit Red Wings 2-1 at Madison Square Garden on March 21, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

I came up with an idea for a new series the other day, so expect a lot of posts similar to this one in the coming week. All of the writers except for Joe, George (Nick and Laurie) will be recapping players seasons/previewing their playoffs.

Let's start off with the Captain. Ryan Callahan!

Ryan Callahan is in his first season as Rangers captain, and has shined in the new role. After his season ended early last season due to taking a slapshot off of his leg, Callahan came back this season with a new goal: to make, and play in the playoffs.

Not only did Callahan complete that goal so far, but Captain Cally also has 28 goals, 25 assists, and 55 penalty minutes. While Callahan is a -3 +-, +- is a basically worthless stat.

What Callahan does right is his tenacious play and ability to suffer through pain and give his body up for the good of the team. You will never see Callahan give up on a play, and he's shown an even greater ability to battle this season.

Callahan is one of the best two-way players in hockey, and has even been mentioned as a Selke trophy candidate.

Here's an example of a great Ryan Callahan goal.

For the series I also decided we should point out some negatives of Ryan Callahan's play, but simply there aren't many.

Perhaps Callahan can take a bad penalty or two, but I won't suggest anything is wrong with the Captain. I just can't.

Callahan has spent time with Brandon Dubinsky, Brad Richards, Artem Anisimov, and many other Rangers, but seems to be at his best when playing with Artem Anisimov.

As for nicknames for Callahan, simply call him Captain Cally. One of the best in the NHL.

Look for Callahan to be a key player in the playoffs for the Rangers, and look for him to try to make up for lost time due to last years inability to play in the playoffs.

Up next will be Rob L. on Brad Richards, then tomorrow Kevin Power on Marian Gaborik.