Breaking News: Christian Thomas And Shane McColgan Sign Amateur Tryout's In Connecticut

NEWARK, NJ - SEPTEMBER 23: Shane McColgan #83 of the New York Rangers skates against the New Jersey Devils during a rookie game at the Prudential Center on September 23, 2011 in Newark, New Jersey. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

According to the Connecticut Whale of the American Hockey League (AHL), both Shane McColgan and Christian Thomas have signed Amateur Tryout agreements earlier this morning. Both Thomas and McColgan have finished up their four year junior careers, after being eliminated from the playoffs earlier this week.

Both have impressed the Rangers brass both on their respective junior teams, as well as in the Traverse City Tournament last summer. Thomas may only be 5-foot-9, but man can he shoot the puck when he wants to. He's also a very quick-moving skater, and he can burn you with his quick hands and feet.

For McColgan, he compares to Thomas with his speed and crafty abilities. But one thing he differs in is his grit, he always plays with an edge to his game. As we saw in Traverse City, McColgan stood up for his teammates, and even fought once for them. His gritty and "never giving up" type attitude makes him a perfect fit for this organization.