2012 NHL Playoffs: Rangers Vs. Capitals - Game 6 Notes

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 09: Alex Ovechkin #8 of the Washington Capitals battles for the puck against Ryan McDonagh #27 of the New York Rangers in the third period of Game Six of the Eastern Conference Semifinals during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Verizon Center on May 9, 2012 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Patrick McDermott/Getty Images)

- Here's the biggest difference between Wednesday night and Monday night: The New York Rangers, for whatever reason, could not match the intensity level of the Washington Capitals. Sometimes there's not an explanation for it. But again, give the Capitals a lot of credit, when their backs have been against the wall they have gotten the job done.

- I think the best word to use to describe Game 6 would be frustrating. It was just a frustrating game. Ryan Callahan trips on the penalty kill, can't cover Alex Ovechkin and Ovechkin does what he does an it's suddenly 1-0. Then the officials incorrectly call icing on the Rangers, the Capitals win the draw, get a ton of luck on the puck deflection and Jason Chimera scores the game winning goal. Sometimes the bounces go that way.

- The difference in this series has been the power play. The Capitals have gotten the job done with the man advantage when they have needed it. The Rangers haven't been able to do anything on the power play. And when they finally do catch a break (the double minor) the power play looks like that. Frustrating.

Join me after the jump for more.

- Here is the good news. The Rangers played just about as bad of a game offensively as they could, and their power play has been like a viper without fangs all year. Still, the Rangers only lost this game by one, and even of you remove Marian Gaborik's lucky goal, it's just 2-0.

- I'm wondering how much of Wednesday was the result of Tortorella not having last change. He couldn't get his matchups and the Capitals used that to their advantage all game. More often than not the Rangers top two lines were contained because of this. The good news? Game 7 is at home.

- Henrik Lundqvist played really well. Nothing he could have done about either goal scored against him. However, Tortorella needs to talk to him about when he can and can't come out of the net.

- The Rangers need to work on picking corners in practice today. Every chance they had offensively in Gane 6 was shot right into Braden Holtby's chest. He wasn't forced to make too many difficult saves. That needs to change if the Rangers want to win Game 7.

- I'm not too sure I like John Tortorella relegating Chris Kreider to the fourth line. I thought he was good in his limited minutes and I thought he was much better than some of the other forwards who get minutes over him. When you're down by two with nine minutes left, maybe it makes sense to go more offensive.

- With all that being said, there is still absolutely no reason you should think the Rangers won't win Saturday night. None. I've seen too many people (although not many here) jump on and off the train so many times that their legs must be tired. This team knows how to deal with adversity too, and I think they'll come out flying in Game 7. This team doesn't give up, so there's no excuse to give up on them.

Believe.