Remembering A Fallen Hero

NEW YORK - OCTOBER 01: Derek Boogaard #94 of the New York Rangers celebrates his goal with team mates against the Ottawa Senators sits in the crease during their preseason game on October 1 2010 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images)

With all the success the New York Rangers are currently enjoying in the 2012 NHL Playoffs it might be easy to forget the fact that a year ago today the Rangers lost a member of their family.

Derek Boogaard might not have been the best player on the ice, but all throughout his career -- especially after his passing -- we were privileged to hear about the impact he made to those less fortunate than him along with the very special care he made sure to take of the members of the United States armed forces.

So while we are still soaking up the Rangers' win over the Washington Capitals, please take a moment to offer your prayers and thoughts for Boogaard and his family in what is sure to be a very trying time for them.

So, Derek: We will never forget everything you did for this organization and those lucky enough to have their lives touched by your generosity.