FanPost

Let's have some fun. I have a time machine!

Not really but it would be so amazing if I did. Anyways, moving on.

The other day, I got into a conversation with my freinds about the Pre-lockout NY Rangers, when Cablevision owned the team during the team's "Dark Ages" (1997-2004). We all remembered what happened during that time, right? Lemme remind you...

1. Change in management and contract issues with Mark Messier led him to walk away and sign with the Vancouver Canucks. Rangers miss playoffs and the team's coveted FA signings of Wayne Gretzky and Pat LaFontaine that they glorified during their "not resigning messier" explanation did not exceed to their expectations.

2. Missed drafting Zach Parise and instead selected Hugh Jessiman in 2003 Draft. Plus other failures and choices at the drafts.

3. Rangers trade two players and two draft picks to Tampa Bay for their 1st round pick, Pavel Brendl

4. Rangers trade Marc Savard to Calgary for 1st round pick, selecting Jamie Lundmark

5. Theo Fleury, Eric Lindros, Mike Dunham

6. Fire Sale of 2004!

7. Trading Brian Leetch and not letting him retire as a Ranger

Just to name a few incidents.

Right now I have a time machine for you all. It will take you back to June 8, 1997, the day after the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup. You have the opportunity to be GM and prevent this team from doing what the did. What would you do?

For starters, here is their 1997 roster with playoff stats:

PlayerGPGAPtsPIM
Wayne Gretzky 15 10 10 20 2
Esa Tikkanen 15 9 3 12 26
Mark Messier 15 3 9 12 6
Luc Robitaille 15 4 7 11 4
Brian Leetch 15 2 8 10 6
Russ Courtnall 15 3 4 7 0
Doug Lidster 15 1 5 6 8
Niklas Sundstrom 9 0 5 5 2
Alexander Karpovtsev 13 1 3 4 20
Adam Graves 15 2 1 3 12
Mike Eastwood 15 1 2 3 22
Ulf Samuelsson 15 0 2 2 30
Jeff Beukeboom 15 0 1 1 34
Bruce Driver 15 0 1 1 2
Bill Berg 3 0 0 0 2
Christian Dube 3 0 0 0 0
Shane Churla 15 0 0 0 20
Eric Cairns 3 0 0 0 0
David Oliver 3 0 0 0 0
Darren Langdon 10 0 0 0 2
Dallas Eakins 4 0 0 0 4
Peter Ferraro 2 0 0 0 0
Patrick Flatley 11 0 0 0 14
Ken Gernander 9 0 0 0 0

Courtesy of Wikipedia, did not want to include players that left the team during the season.

I'll start in the comments.