2012 NHL Playoffs: Rangers Explode Again In Third Period To Take Game Three

NEWARK, NJ - MAY 19: Chris Kreider #20 of the New York Rangers celebrates his third period goal as Martin Brodeur #30 of the New Jersey Devils reacts in Game Three of the Eastern Conference Final during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at the Prudential Center on May 19, 2012 in Newark, New Jersey. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers found a way to get it done once again, as Game 3 was pretty much a carbon copy of Game 1. The Rangers had a brutal start to this game, and were under attack by the Devils really early on. The Rangers were able to hold off the Devils pressure for two fill periods, before they finally kicked their game into gear.

First off, let me welcome you to the Henrik Lundqvist show as this man stood on his head all game long, and came away with his second shutout of the series. As the Rangers were struggling to find their game through the first two periods, Henrik Lundqvist was on his game all afternoon.

The Rangers began to pick up their game late in the second period, and had some great chances, but Martin Brodeur was up to the task. One chance involved Ryan Callahan with a wide open net, in which he shoveled on net, as Brodeur came flying across to snag it out of the air.

Follow after the jump for more.

In the opening minutes of the third period, the Rangers were playing like a team possessed out there. Their relentless forecheck was absent for the first two period, but it went to work in the third. As a result, Marian Gaborik was able to draw a hooking penalty on Bryce Salvador early in the period, and sent the Rangers to a huge power play.

About a 1:10 into the power play, Brad Richards won a huge offensive zone draw, and it went back to Dan Girardi. Girardi stepped into and sent a laser under the arm of Brodeur, and the Rangers were able to get the game's first goal. This was a huge lift for the Rangers as they were under pressure for the entire game, and found a way to answer.

Just two minutes later, Chris Kreider redirected home his fifth of of the playoffs, and third goal of this series. Ryan McDonagh made the great play to realize Kreider was in front, and shoot for his stick, to get the redirection in front. From that point on, the Rangers took complete control of this game, and it was their game to lose.

The Rangers took a string of three penalties in the close ten minutes of the game, but they were able to hold off the Devils on every single one of them. The Rangers would come away with the victory and King Henrik would come away with his second shutout in three games.

The Rangers and Devils will take a day off, before they go right back at it on Monday night, at the Prudential Center.

Believe!